Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

The Great Wall and Other Fun


I managed to sleep until 4:30 a.m. this morning so that is a great improvement over yesterdays wake time of 3:30 a.m. After touring the Great Wall yesterday Reidar and I crashed at the hotel for about 5 hours while mommy went shopping (again) at the Silk Alley. We are still screwed up pretty good as far as sleeping goes. Reidar and I ate dinner at 10pm last night, stayed up a while, and then went back to sleep. He has been a real trooper on this trip but he was tired after yesterday's trip to the wall and finally crashed out. He has been a GREAT traveller and several people in the group have remarked as such. We are really proud of him.

The wall was amazing. We drove an hour out of Beijing to the Ba Da Ling pass and took a fun gondola ride up to the wall which Tiana really enjoyed since she loves heights so much! Everyone was very tired after climbing the steep steps since the weather was very hot and muggy. It was the experience of a lifetime and the views as well as the sense of history are overwhelming. Reidar enjoyed pretending to fire out of the parapets with a pantomimed bow as if he was defending the realm. Of course Tiana shopped some more and we got a few T-shirts and a great picture book about the wall. She is addicted to bargaining with the merchants and will have many stories about her victories upon our return. She also acted as mediator at Silk Alley, helping other couples to bargain for goods.

After the wall we toured a cloissone factory. This is a type of enamelware where the artisans solder copper compartments to a copper body of a vase or figure of an animal, etc. and then it is filled with several layers of enamel and fired in an oven, then polished to produce amazingly beautiful pieces. The works can take days or months to produce by hand. Of course Tiana bought more goods in the factory store afterwards. The Chinese economy is doing well this week thanks to our group.

We are all excited as we get our girl tomorrow. We can hardly wait. This morning we will jump back on the bus and go to see the Forbidden City, Tiannamen Square and then take a rickshaw tour. We'll let you know how it goes. The city is amazing and we are enjoying seeing the people, culture, and buildings here. We've seen quite an assortment of motorbikes and bicycles, ancient remains of the gates which once served to seperate the city, and the moat which still surrounds Beijing. We are taking lots of pictures and trying to soak it all in before we are preoccupied with our new family member. I'll try to post tomorrow with the latest.

Comments:
From: Barb Wood
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:16 AM
To: Tiana Burgeson
Subject: Silk



I would surely like a few tops and a couple kimono’s size XL I will pay you for them when you get them home. Any color.

Barb: SEND THEM PICTURES AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. BEEN READING YOUR SIGHT. PRETTY NEAT.



YOU SHOULD HAVE THAT LITTLE GIRL BY THE TIME WE GET TO WORK TOMORROW MORNING. I HAVE THE HAIR EXTENSIONS READY.
 
I love your commentary Cean!! We feel like we are right there with you - can't wait to see pictures of Ari!!

"Gravy"
 
Burgie,

We continue to read about your trip everyday. We didn't catch your update yesterday until Wed. Morning. I can't even imagine the emotions that are running through you guys right now as you prepare to get Ari. In the blink of an eye your family will grow by one. Amazing stuff. Anyway, glad to hear you guys are having fun inspite of the heat and time difference. Give the family a hug from the Dorks. We are thinking of you everyday.

Love,
Steve
Steve
 
It's great hearing what you are experiencing - I'm excited for you! Can't wait to hear more stories in person and hear your reaction upon getting Ariana. You're in my thoughts
Love,
Dana
 
Below is a message from Cameron, Spencer and Kathy: (They sent it to your Mom by accident)


Reidar,
I wish you could stay one day. (at Cameron's House) When you come back have a great time with your sister. I hope you had a good time on the plane trip.

Love Cameron
Reidar,
Have a great day in China. Have a great time with your sister in China.

Love Spencer (Cameron told me what to say for Spencer since he is napping)

Cean and Tiana,
We visited your Blog and enjoyed the pictures. I was not able to find the Log Steve spoke of. Cameron was a little impatient so I have not gotten to read everything. Sounds like you are very tired. I will pray God will give the three of you and all your traveling companions alot of Grace to susstain you through this trip.

Gotta go
Love you
Kathy
 
Hi Guys!!
Your postings sound like you all are having a wonderful time. And way to much fun!! We are so happy for you here. I can't believe that she is finally in your arms. Can't wait to see you back home!! Have fun and take lots of pictures.
Amanda
 
HI GUYS! Surprise! Mom sent me your email. I'm so glad she did. :) My prayers are with you guys. I'm so excited for you! David and I started the adoption process last year and then found out we were pregnant with our 3rd boy. LOL! We're still going to adopt, but just wait a bit. Can't wait to get caught up with you. HUGS!
 
I've got your site marked as a favorite and I keep hitting the refresh button.... I hope all is well and I can't wait to see your next update!! I love reading your stuff, Cean. The kids are all excited and showing everyone Ari's picture that is on refrigerator. They send hugs and kisses to you. So do I!! They say tell Reidar he and Ari need to come spend the night. See you soon.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?